Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bits of Color

Watching the ground on a walk at Milford Beach

Peter has always told me that nature is more colorful on an overcast day. When I first met him, I would have argued that was true on a bright sunny day, when the sky is a deep blue and the trees are green. But now when I look, I see that the world is full of contrast on a bright day. You see extreme highlights and shadows that are beautiful in their own way, but it's hard to see into the shadows or bright spots to see what's really there. On an overcast day, when the light is even, the colors are deep and rich -- especially when things are a little damp like they were on my walk yesterday -- and you see oranges and purples, reds, plums and mauve and many shades of greens and blues that you can't see on a sunny day.

1 comment:

  1. I used to think the same. Though, after Tuesday, I have to believe him too! I can now imagine the rich colors of a fresh baguette on such a day. Mmmm...baguettes.

    ReplyDelete